This is about photography

Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Buy new or stay with the old

A week ago I was going to a big fashion- and charityshow in Copenhagen. The largest amount (72) of danish topmodels, including Helena Christensen and Lykke Maj, was coming to walk the catwalk. I had my presscard, my name was on the list, and I was ready BIG TIME!!
2 hours before showstart my new Canon 20D broke down!..... I had a wideangle lens mounted (16-35 mm) and it was stuck there and I could not remove it. Panic arrived, what should I do? I tried to call some friends that have similar equipment but none was able to help on such short notice.

Two days later Canon Denmark fixed the problem in 5 minutes. A small screw in the lens mount was loose...!
After that experience I considered to buy an extra camerahouse, an extra D20, because it is nice to carry two houses on an assignment. That way you don't have to change lens every 5th minute and expose the chip for dust. And with an extra house accidents like this would not ruin everything. But it is a lot of money for that kind of safety: 1500 $ or 1600 euro.
So my conclusion is: Unless you are loaded - stay with the one house. Get some jobs and get some money first. Then you can buy more gear.......

2 Comments:

  • So no shots from the event???
    That is crazy bad luck for you.
    72 models, a man, and no camera - Horrible! ;o)

    By Blogger AboutA, at Monday, August 29, 2005  

  • No shots from the event! At all!
    Standed with the wideangle lens I could not get the close-up shots that I wanted. Of course - I could jump up on the catwalk right in front of the models, or walk up in front of Princess Mary who had some space left in front of her seat. A bad move for my 'career' :-) And a sure way to end up on the floor with three securitymen on top of me!....

    By Blogger claus kunckel, at Wednesday, September 07, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home